We will learn how to make a traditional Japanese Itayauma with Product Designer En!
Itayauma date back to Edo period (1603 - 1868) in Akita prefecture (precisely in Kakunodatemachi, Senboku city), a folk toy with 200 years of history!
It was originally made weaving some strips of a beautiful tree trunk called itayakaede (commonly known as “painted maple”).
In this workshop we will Upcycle unnecessary paper bags and wasted wrapping papers to create a unique interior design product!
Choose the colors and the patterns which you prefer and gives life to a very original Itayauma that only you can make!
TeacherEn - Product Designer
DurationAbout 90 minutes
Age rangeFrom 6 to 99 years old
Fee¥1,200 per person
Price inclusionsExperience fee, consumption tax, Itayauma instruction manual (pdf)
Activity details① Introduction
② Lecture on Itayauma Origin
③ How to Make the Components
④ How to Make Itayauma
Number of participants allowedFrom 1 to 50 people
What you will need
· Box cutter
· Cutting mat (wider than 50cm)
· Double-sided tape (narrower than 8mm)
· Ruler (longer than 50cm)
· Clothespin or clip (not strictly necessary)
· Bone folder (not strictly necessary)
2 types of paper bags or wrapping papers with different colors and patterns 1 each
Design: colorful paper bags and patterned bags are recommended.
Thickness: thicker than a copy paper.
Size: paper bags bigger than 35cmx35cm. Wrapping papers bigger than 50cmx50cm.
How to participate in the online experience· WActivity JAPAN uses Zoom online platform for video conferencing.
· Download free Zoom software (https://zoom.us) to your own computer, tablet or mobile device.
· After the reservation is completed, we will send you the URL, meeting ID and passcode via email.
· Customers who have set up to receive emails will be contacted at the entered email address.
Notice· Log in to Zoom 5 minutes before the start time and check the video/audio settings.
· To prevent howling, we recommend using headphones/earphones.
· If you are late your participation may be denied.
NoteThis experience is a hybrid-format of entertainment connecting virtual (Zoom) and real (Tsukiji Studio, Tokyo) activities at the same time.
CancellationThe cancellation fee will be charged from 1 day before the event date.
Cancellation policy after the order is completed will be applied in the following cases.
Previous day: 100%
Same day: 100%
Nonparticipation cancellation: 100%
The event may be canceled due to unavoidable reasons such as the teacher's physical condition.